Sunday, June 7, 2009

Wait...my favorite verb ever!

The theme of today’s sermon at my parent’s home church was on waiting on God (Wow! Seriously, God you have one awesome sense of humor or my other favorite phrase “That was just way too relevant!”) It is amazing how God uses people, especially pastors, to reach to those who are in need of His words. As a Lit major words are a synonym for life. For me the hardest part of waiting on God is that I can’t always hear Him. Sometimes there are simply no words.

Lately there have been no words. Right now that makes me think of when someone calls my phone and I know I am going to be talking with them in a few minutes I usually don’t pick up. I am a terrible phone person. TERRIBLE! Talking on the phone has never been my cup of tea, instead, I would rather meet you for a cup of tea and talk with you in person :) Maybe God does that with me sometimes. Maybe He is on His way right now and He looks down at His "phone" to see me calling and knows that He is only 5 minutes away, so He will wait until He can see me face to face. To be honest He probably knows that as soon as I hear His voice I am going to start crying hysterically (you know when you have a really bad day and you have your brave face and brave voice going pretty solid and then your mom or dad calls and the whole charade is blown to pieces?!). He waits until He can hold me.

Pastor Mark (I think it is pretty funny how both my parents’ pastor and my pastor is named Mark) talked about impatience is really unbelief in God. It means that you don’t trust God. Over the past few weeks I have slowly had this revelation take place in my heart and mind. See at the beginning of the semester I was feeling so confident in my faith that I actually asked for the opportunity to test my trusting ability (yes I am insane!). Now I am kicking myself cause I realize how much I suck. I can only imagine what my Father is thinking. Thank God He does not think the way we do because in my book I am a failure, but in His book there is hope for me. My journey is only beginning. The one thing I am grateful to the waiting times in my life for is they show me how much I need Christ for everything (by now I would really think this would be branded in my mind, but nope like a sheep my brain capacity is completed stunted).

God does have a perfect plan for my life. I can’t jump ahead or doubt what He is doing. I will have faith that He will deliver me like He has in the past. I know that He wants the best for all of His children. When we need Him most He is there. We just don’t have the eyes to see Him. It reminds me of an activity book I had as a kid. It had this special pen filled with “invisible” ink. If you looked at the paper it looked like no one had ever touched it, but if you used a magical highlighting pen or some tool like that the invisible ink appeared. Right now in my life I would really like that magical highlighting pen to see all that God has written on my life, but now is the time for faith and trust that the invisible will be made known. God will highlight it when the time is right. Right now God is at work in the background of every individual’s life. He is looking to form a relationship with us or to go deeper in that relationship. He is looking to show us the depths of His love. He is fighting the fire-breathing dragons that scald and burn us. One day all will see His majesty and know the price He paid for our salvation. On my 22nd birthday I am still just discovering how deep God’s love is for His children. He will never leave nor forsake me. That is the best birthday present ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home