Sunday, June 21, 2009

Everybody has that person he/she tries to emulate, especially when you are a child. As a kid I don’t remember trying on my mother’s high heels or taking her boldest lipstick and smearing it on my face. I didn’t see the physical as how a woman was a woman. Yes, I knew then that men and women had different body parts than one another, but I didn’t think that heels made the women who wore them beautiful. A hidden, mysterious quality made them lovely and irreplaceable in this world.
Actually it is quite humorous because I associated guys more with the physical. I remember watching my dad shave his face once, so when I was 8 I gave it a go. Luckily I didn’t do too much damage. As a kid I admired the men in my life for their physical strength. They could do things that my body was too little or skinny to do. When my younger brother was in Pre-K he told all his fellow classmates that my dad lifted 30 tubs at work that day…all at once! Yes, my dad did lift 30 tubs at work, but not all at once; however, that idea never entered my brother’s head. Some girls are not as blessed to have a father, who can show them the joys of growing into a woman. At 13 I was so awkward and moody. My God was I moody! Personally, I’d rather a kid stay 2 for 2 years than have to raise a girl at 13. I cried at the drop of the hat and I am not just talking figuratively. During that time my dad demonstrated his spiritual strength, which I learned was even more valuable than his physical. I love that my dad has physical strength, but I love it more that he ‘weight-trained’ me spiritually. He would look up Bible verses for me and one time after a huge fight with a friend he gave me a card that just reminded me to lean on Christ through the trials. It made me feel special for who I was in that moment, and not who I might transform into.
My dad is always going to be the first guy that loves me as me. He doesn’t expect me to pound make-up on my face or dress to the nines. He loves me sitting on the couch laughing my head off at something absolutely ridiculous. He loves me when I call home and question what it is God wants me to do with my life. I know that because of my father I was able to have a relationship with Christ at such a young age. He demonstrated what God the Father’s love is for me. Unlike the cliché saying of “my father catches me when I fall,” that is not necessarily true; however, my dad was there to help me get back up after I fell. I chose to make decisions that I knew might backfire on me and my father would offer his council, but he didn’t try to force me to see everything his way. When I call and tell him he was right, he doesn’t shove it in my face, instead he offers me grace. He doesn’t need to say you messed up because I am already living out the consequences.
On the other hand my mom gave me a spirit of adventure. Though I am definitely a planner, I also like to just go out and just live it up. As a kid I remember crawling up in my parent’s bed and asking her to tell me stories about her childhood. I think it is my mom more than anyone that gave me a love for telling stories. It is a gift to be able to tell a good personal story. I have met people that have lived interesting lives, but they don’t know how to express it or make you feel what you felt in that moment. My mom taught me by example what details to include and highlight to capture an audience and bring that moment back to life. The more I learn about her the more I realize I am like her in that way. Last summer we went to New York together and her childhood friend/sister Vicki shared how my mom would do comic routine of her Irish mother talking about Olay products. In my group of friends I can definitely break that out. I remember when I had bells palsy, a fun illness that makes half your face go paralyzed for six weeks, I would go to the mall and tell people I got botox just to see their expressions, while my friends are trying not to laugh at my ridiculous antics.
Another thing my mom taught me is that women are more than just their appearances. In a world where flawless skin and a scale that reads 105 pounds are the measures of beauty in a woman most girls fall short. My mom is a beautiful woman both inside and outside that taught me that beauty is what you make of each day and how you allow God to move in your life and stir your dreams to actions. It is about the kindness you give to people that don’t always deserve it and won’t remember to say thank you, it is about smiling at people when you pass them on the street because you never know if you are the only bright face they will pass that day. Growing up my mom and dad didn’t have it easy, but they don’t focus on that or use it as an excuse.
Even though it is Father’s Day today, I decided to write about both my parents. Good parents are a blessing from God and too often I know I forget that. We take advantage of the people that we love the most and the ones who love us the most because we have already attained their love and affirmation. My new goal is to appreciate the people who pour love into my life and not focus on ‘earning’ love from others. Today give your dad a call and remind him how awesome he is and what he brings to your life. If you live with your dad run up and give him a huge hug. Also there are men out there that are not our fathers or dads in general, but they provide us that same type of connection to the Father’s love and they should be appreciate and savored. I am grateful for celebrations like Father’s Day because they remind me to take time and appreciate love in all its forms. God really must be big because after all He is Love and Love is…WOW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home