Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Perspective

I'm learning that postive and negative images impact my moods for better or for worse. People, including myself, today focus too much on the negative. Go ahead turn on television. Whether it is a newstation or a television show, television is the perfect example of the world's downward spiral. Most lives are not like what is depicted on the small or large screen, but most of our ideas of people come from them. Even worse some of the things we witness on that screen seem so real that it in a small way it feels like it is actually happening to us.

For one of my college classes I was required to watch a film that still remains in my mind. The images projected on the screen were ugly and demeaning. One of the immigrant women in the film is forced to subcomb to a degrading form of sexual intimacy. After seeing these images I left angry and wounded. I am not a desensitized individual, which I feel is the goal of Hollywood. More violence occurs around the world and Hollywood films get more and more graphic.

Images are powerful, and just as they are used for evil, they are also used to do tremendous good. In high school I remember seeing a church a video on some of the happenings of home-group churches in China. In one of the clips there was a young teenage girl, probably 14, looking from one book to another and writing in the second. She was translating a Bible! That put I Timothy 4:12 into action. After leaving church I felt empowered to change the world, even if it was only a small town in Florida. That night I realized something that still leaves me astonished to God there is no only. The people in small town USA have as much value as the aborigines on the Australian outback. As much value as the kings, queens, presidents, and rulers of all kingdoms. People are people. He loves them all because they are His. I think back to some of the old dolls I had as a kid. They were colored on and broken in places. One in particular was named Susie. I loved her simply because she was mine. I didn't say how battered she looked or how crayon all over her arms and legs might be unflattering or how dragging her around by the hair might be problematic over time. When my parents wanted to get rid of her, I wouldn't hear of it. God loves us simply because we are His. When others think why does He still want us around after life has left us with unbearable scars, God turns our brokenness into the opportunity for a new beginning.

Lately I have had to catch myself because it is really easy for me to be negative. Over time it seems easier to distrust God than to be patient and believe in His promises. I have this theory that if you are named after a biblical character somehow that person struggles with a similar struggle to the original. When I say similar struggles, I don't mean that all Josephs will be thrown into a pit and have their colorful coat taken away or all Daniels will be put into a den with lions (unless you are on a discovery channel show because then you just might). For example, I am named Sarah, so though God has promised me great things as His girl, after many years of waiting I distrust Him and believe that patience is overrated. Also, I have this horrible habit of laughing at what He promises me. Yea, I read how Sarah did this too when God told Abraham and her that she would have a son, hence why they named their son Isaac, which means laughter. Everything in life is how you look at it. In a world constantly changing and spinning around and around, our vision gets distorted and we are sick at the thought one more thing spinning out of our control. After many years of trying to control my walk with God I realize that maybe it is time I step back and let Him lead. Christians can't control God, we aren't meant to. Instead of trying to control Him I am going to enjoy His wild strength and beauty. For even though He can't be tamed, He has His beloveds' best interests at heart.

1 Comments:

At September 4, 2009 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

This was very profound,as well as a great reflection. Thanks! My christian names are Mary and Elizabeth, what are your thoughts regarding those names? Maybe you need to develop this concept...;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home